Te Puna Manaaki - Support for Māori learners

Te Puna Manaaki is the dedicated support service for all ākonga Māori enrolled at NMIT.
Medium 2 Column 1470x980px 2 Te Puna Manaaki

Nau mai, haere mai, tauti mai!

Our team focuses on cultural support, acknowledging the physical, spiritual and whānau support that is central to the ākonga journey. 

We're a friendly team of Māori and Pasifika Kaimanaaki here to help you. You can find us at Te Toki Pakohe - Nelson Campus, and in the Student Centre at Marlborough Campus. We also regularly visit Woodbourne and Richmond Campuses. 

Our whare is a safe space for you to drop in, say kia ora and discuss any support you might need.

D Block Small 1 Column 705x470px v2

Te Puna Manaaki services

Ways we can support you

• Cultural support
  • Te Reo Māori
  • Pastoral and wellbeing
  • Study & equity support
  • Academic writing and APA referencing
  • Assistance with StudyLink
  • Scholarship and grant application support
  • Iwi registrations
  • Hardship & more

We also work with a team of external providers who offer culturally responsive services for

• Counselling
  • Social Work
  • Budgeting advice
  • Health services.

Whakapā mai - Get in touch

Email maorisupport@nmit.ac.nz and a Kaimanaaki will be in touch.

Meet the team

Ren Stronach Small 1 Column 705x470px 1

Ren Stronach

Ngātiawa, Ngāti Hauiti | Kaimanaaki

Mauri ora ki a tātou, Ko Ren ahau. I’m a Kaimanaaki, ākonga and māmā and am really passionate about all things Māori. My focus is finding the best ways for our team to support you on your learning journey. We provide a whānau support network here on campus and aim to make you feel welcome, connected, at home, and supported while you are here with us. From a cup of tea and a catch-up to study support, we are keen to connect, get to know you, and see where we can help.

‘Nāku te rourou, nāu te rourou, ka ora ai te iwi.’

Kim Ireland Medium 2 Column 1470x980px

Kim Ireland

Te Arawa | Kaimanaaki

Tēna koutou katoa, Ko Kim ahau. I am a Kaimanaaki - Māori Support Advisor from Te Arawa, and have lived in Whakatū and Motueka since 2012. I have a background in the arts, kaupapa Māori research, academic writing and referencing.

I am a graduate of NMIT and currently completing a Masters in Māori Visual Arts through Massey University. I really enjoy the whanaungatanga and reciprocal learning that comes from walking alongside tauira.

Sue Stephens 2 Column 1470x980px

Sue Stephens 

Ngāti Maniapoto, Ngāti Porou | Kaimanaaki

E rau rangatira mā, tēnā koutou, I am extremely privileged to work alongside our ākonga. My role is to manaaki and tautoko ākonga in all aspects of their study to achieve their academic, cultural, and personal goals. I tautoko with a range of study skills such as academic writing and research, APA referencing, scholarships, StudyLink applications, and hardship advocacy.

E hari ana e koa ana te ngakau ki te manaaki me te tautoko i o rātou huarahi mātauranga. I am absolutely excited to be part of their learning journey. “Poipoia te kakano, kia puāwai” – Nurture the seed and it will blossom.

Hayley Veatupu 1 Column 705x470px 1

Hayley Pouanga

Social Worker 

Mālō e lelei, Tēna koutou katoa ko Hayley Pouanga tōku ingoa.

I offer support and guidance around wellbeing and mental health to ākonga at Te Pūkenga specialising in supporting Māori & Pasifika. Having studied here on campus I really understand the challenges student life can bring. It is a huge privilege to be back here to ensure you are well connected and supported while you study.

Contact me anytime, look forward to meeting you!

Caro Latu Small 1 Column 705x470px 1

Caroline Latu 

Social Worker - Kaimanaaki

Mālō e lelei, Kia ora and warm Pacific greetings. I’m Caro, a proud Tongan born and raised in South Auckland. I believe wellbeing is paramount to success in both studies and home life. As an experienced Social Worker, I enjoy working alongside whānau, youth and culturally diverse communities to support them in achieving their goals.

You will find me on the Marlborough campus and at Base Woodbourne. I look forward to meeting you.

Close drawer

a page loading spinner